I love avocados and I thought, “Why not mix it up with chicken for an avocado chicken salad sandwich or atop a salad?” I allow myself a serving of avocado once a week, as a treat. Adding a little Greek yogurt makes this recipe even less in calories, or use mayonnaise for richness, or neither. This is a quick, easy avocado chicken salad recipe that anyone can make. And it’s great for using up leftover chicken. You’ll see the sandwich photo below which shows the dairy-free version, and the salad photo showing the dairy version
Gluten Free Avocado Chicken Salad
An avocado chicken salad recipe you, your friends and family will be asking for more. Make dairy-free with avocado only or mayonnaise; or use non-fat Greek yogurt for low-fat.
- 1 broiled or boiled chicken breast
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 3 Tablespoons Greek yogurt (FAGE is my favorite) (or skip it and add more avocado to make it dairy free)
- 1 to 1-1/2 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar (or rice vinegar if you are corn intolerant)
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Mash avocado in a medium size bowl.
- Stir in Greek yogurt (if using), vinegar and onion.
- Tear chicken into small pieces and add to the bowl and stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste and stir again.
- Serve on bread, as a sandwich or atop a salad.
You can substitute the red onion and vinegar for about 6 chopped pickled cocktail onions.
If on a gluten free diet, use rice vinegar, or Heinz white distilled vinegar which is made from corn. Heinz wine vinegar and apple cider vinegars are made from apples and grapes, therefore, are gluten-free. Though most manufacturers claim that anything which is distilled processes any gluten out. Source: Heinz Vinegar FAQ
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.