Let’s face it french fries that have been deep fried are high in calories. If you’d like a french fry lower in fat and calories just bake them. I’m all for low fat french fries! I recently purchased a Nonstick French Fry Baking Pan which allows the heat to rise form the bottom through holes in the pan, allowing browning to occur on both sides. A little olive oil spray makes them taste like regular french fries. UPDATE: I have successfully made these using a regular baking sheet. You may use russet potatoes, sweet potatoes, or golden or red potatoes. Guilt free French fries! What’s not to enjoy?
Low Fat Baked French Fries
- 2 small peeled potatoes
- Gluten-free olive oil spray
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 420°F.
- Cut potatoes in half, length-wise.
- Slice the halves about 1/4 to 1/3" thick.
- Cut the slices in french fry sized pieces.
- Add to french fry baking pan.
- Spray with oil and toss to coat most of them.
- If desired, add your favorite spices. (I enjoy the ones listed above. I use smoked paprika. If you use smoked paprika, be sure to use a gluten-free brand such as McCormick.)
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Once fries are tender, turn oven up to broil and cook until desired browning has been achieved.
I like my french fries soft and my husband likes his crispy, therefore, I sprayed some of the fries and tossed them. The crispy ones are his and the others are mine. If you like them all crispy spray with oil, toss while rubbing the oil onto the fries, and spray again.
If you cut the potatoes a little larger bake them at 425° F.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.