During the holidays, this gluten free artichoke dip is extremely popular. However, it is perfect for any special occasion. The classic recipe usually calls for sour cream or cream cheese. Instead, I used a bechamel sauce (flour and butter) with onion instead. It makes for a very flavorful dip/sauce. I even added some cheese, cooked bacon, and omitted the traditional spinach. What veggies and/or meat will you use? Serve as a dip, over pasta as a sauce, or thin as desired for soup.
Gluten Free Artichoke Dip, Sauce, or Soup + Video
Rich and delicious, this gluten free artichoke dip may be made to serve as dip, pasta sauce, or soup.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (or dairy free margarine - Smart Balance)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced/shaved
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour (or white)
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream* (or full-fat coconut milk or milk)
- 1/2 to 1-1/4 cups water (or milk)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can artichoke hearts
- 4 ounces Mozzarella cheese, cut into small pieces (or dairy free)
- 3 ounces Swiss cheese, torn into small pieces (or dairy free)
- 3/4 pound gluten free bacon, (Hormel Natural Choice or Black Label, or Applegate) cut into small pieces (optional)
- Sliced gluten free baguettes (Schar) or gluten free pasta (Jovial Tagliatelle)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Add onion and saute until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and ground cayenne.
- Stir the shaved garlic into the mixture and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the rice flour and stir.
- Pour in the cream and water; stir to combine. Increase the heat to about medium-high, stirring frequently for about 1 minute. (As the sauce becomes hot, it will thicken.)
- Stir in the artichoke hearts.
- Add your desired shredded cheese and stir until the pieces melt; remove from heat and set aside.
- If you are using bacon, fry it up in a separate skillet. Remove from skillet and allow the grease to drain on a plate lined with several paper towels.
- Stir the bacon bits into the sauce mixture. Serve with sliced gluten free baguettes as a dip, over your favorite gluten free pasta, or thin the dip out with some water or broth and season to taste and serve as soup.
*Dairy Free Version: Puree cashews in a powerful blender with a little water until thick creamy like consistency. Use it in place of cream and cheese.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.