This one dish gluten free casserole is very easy to make! Rather than wait 1 hour in the oven to bake chicken and potatoes, you can cook it on the stove top in 15-20 minutes, depending upon the size of your potatoes. And you can leave the skins on the potatoes if you desire, which speeds up the prep work. I appreciated this recipe because it uses only one pan. To my surprise, as I am not usually one to eat chunks of onion and especially garlic, they turned out so sweet in the dish! I hope this makes your gluten-free dinner meals faster and easier!
A fast stove-top method for making gluten free chicken casserole. Just toss together and it's ready in less than 20 minutes.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 shallots (small red onions)
- 2/3 cup thin baby carrots (or julienne sliced)
- 3 small to medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 large cloves garlic, mashed slightly
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup organic low-sodium chicken broth
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat deep skillet with olive oil.
- On medium-high heat, add chicken and brown on one side.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onion; turn chicken over; add butter; brown; and stir with vegetables.
- Add garlic, thyme, oregano and basil; stir and lower to medium.
- Add chicken broth, stir and cover.
- Cook for about 15-18 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve warm.
- To mash the garlic, take the flat side of a knife and place it over the garlic; hit it on top with the side of your fist, just enough to allow the flavors to escape during cooking.
Having pre-chopped vegetables on hand which you prepared the previous weekend makes week night dinners a breeze. Store onion in a tightly fitted jar to prevent the fumes from escaping into your refrigerator.
5 Replies to “Gluten Free Stove-Top Chicken Potato Casserole”
I just made this for dinner tonight! We didn’t have shallots, so I just substituted a sweet onion, and I added a third chicken breast. It turned out so wonderful and delicious!!! This will definitely become a regular meal for us. :)
Glad you enjoyed, Melanie!
Thanks! It sounds delicious! I’ll be making this soon! =)
Did I miss something? I’m not reading that there’s cheese in the ingredients. Just want to be sure it’s right before I try it…it sounds easy and delicious. Thank you! Glad I discovered your site…can’t wait to explore it more.
LOL! Thanks for catching this! No cheese in this dish at all. I wanted to add that sentence to another recipe post of mine. Now removed! Again, thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. I am sure you saved a lot of future confusion!