If you are gluten free and dairy free, this dairy free chocolate syrup recipe is just what you need. This thickened mixture has a very similar texture as dairy chocolate syrup. Your desserts will appear as if they do contain dairy. A friend of mine tasted it, and said, “It tastes like Hershey’s Syrup. I’d never know.” Enjoy!
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Chocolate Syrup Recipe
A creamy and thick gluten free dairy free chocolate syrup recipe you'll use for many recipes.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar*
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons gluten free cocoa powder (not Dutch Processed)
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 capsule gluten free Twinlab Vitamin C, optional as a preservative and adds tang/lemony flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure/gluten free vanilla extract
- Add sugar and water to a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until sugar melts.
- While sugar and water is heating, in small bowl or cup, whisk together the cocoa powder, xanthan gum, and if using, Vitamin C.
- Whisk dry mixture into warm sugar water/simple syrup. Heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Add vanilla and briefly whisk.
- Cook longer to thicken and add a little water and sugar, if desired, to thin.
- Pour into a glass container such as canning jar, cover and keep refrigerated. Use on ice cream, other desserts, and to plate desserts.
*You can substitute granulated sugar for agave syrup.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.