Perfect for the holidays, this gluten free green bean casserole recipe is cheesy and creamy. You may make it dairy-free and vegan by using a dairy-free buttery spread and dairy-free sour cream. If you’re dairy-free and soy-free, finding a sour cream may be difficult. I provide you with a link to my new dairy-free sour cream recipe using cashew nuts! Cashews are used in the vegan community as a substitute for sour cream to cream cheese. It is rich, high in fat, making it easy to cream. I hope you enjoy this new dairy-free substitute!
Gluten-Free Green Bean Casserole
A creamy and cheesy gluten free green bean casserole recipe, perfect for the holidays.
- 4 cups frozen green beans, cooked and drained
- 3 Tablespoons butter (or buttery spread)
- 8 oz. mushrooms, canned or fresh, sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped finely
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or Daiya vegan cheese)
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free sour cream (not light) (or dairy-free: Tofuti or Kite Hill)
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon butter (or buttery spread) (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add onion and mushrooms; saute, stirring occasionally, until onion and mushrooms are tender.
- Place onions and mushrooms to the sides of the pan; add flour, salt, and pepper; whisk rapidly.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add cheese, sour cream, and drained green beans.
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with additional cheddar cheese. As an additional option, you may sauté gluten-free bread crumbs and butter in a sauté pan and top the casserole, versus using additional cheddar cheese (or top with both).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until browned on top.
*I used Namaste Perfect Flour Blend, however, you may use a smaller amount of guar gum mixed with melted butter.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.