I am trying to cut dairy out of my diet a little bit at a time but miss my rich chocolate ice cream recipe. It’s one of my husband’s favorites, too. I have created several almond milk ice cream recipes, but today I incorporated the raw almond milk recipe into this dairy-free, gluten free, raw chocolate ice cream recipe and made it richer and creamier. It is high in protein compared to regular ice cream. You can make this recipe by using almonds or a lower protein version that is nut-free. I knew I had duplicated my dairy version perfectly once I saw the same consistency before it was frozen in the ice cream maker, just like homemade pudding before it sets in the refrigerator!
In the almond version I could still taste tiny bits of the chopped almonds, but with the right blender, such as a Vitamix, I am sure it would work out fine, or just strain it, or not. Once frozen in the freezer and atop a warm chocolate chip cookie, it’s a pizookie! I could not taste anything but rich chocolate ice cream (see my Gluten Free Pizookie Recipe). For a smoother texture, you can use all avocados instead of the almonds. I have to say this is such a decadent gluten free delight!
A rich raw chocolate ice cream, using raw almonds, avocado and more.
- 75 raw almonds, soaked overnight (and peeled if you do not have a high quality food processor or blender)
- 3/4 cup organic raw blue agave syrup
- 7/8 cup organic unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold filtered water
- Add avocado, almonds and 1/4 cup agave to a food processor and blend until it is well chopped.
- Add another 1/4 cup and blend until it looks smooth. Have a taste. It may still contain tiny nuts. Either leave them in or strain it.
- Add another 1/4 cup agave and blend until smooth. If you run the machine too long it may start to heat. Depending upon how raw you want to go, you may want to pulsate on and off instead of running it the a full 2 minutes or so.
- Add the cocoa powder and blend well. It should be the consistency of a chocolate ganache.
- Slowly add the cold water until thoroughly blended.
- Add vanilla and blend again.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. My 2 quart Cuisinart ice cream maker takes about 30 minutes to freeze.
- Place in an air-tight container in the freezer until firm.
!Nut-free, Dairy-free Chocolate Ice Cream Version
Use the above recipe, but substitute another avocado for the almonds. Add all ingredients in the food processor except for the water and vanilla. Substitute the 1 cup cold water for 2 cups or more of a milk substitute such as almond milk. Continue with step 5-8 above.
Note: The photo does not do this justice. When you spoon into it, it is darker and richer looking, and definitely richer tasting!
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
See more Gluten Free Ice Cream Recipes