This dish is not only attractive, but very tasty, and naturally gluten free. If you are used to frying or roasting potatoes, adding a bit of chopped onion and/or garlic provides quite a bit of flavor. However, all three of these potatoes tend to have more flavor than brown/russet potatoes. Using colored potatoes is also very attractive in potato salad, as well. I picked up a very small bag of baby colored potatoes at Trader Joe’s. If you have one locally, you may want to check there if you can’t find them in your local supermarket.
Fried Red, Gold and Purple Potatoes and Onion
- 2 lbs. baby potatoes (red, gold and purple), washed and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup red and/or green bell peppers, chopped or sliced thinly (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying
- Coat a large non-stick frying pan or skillet with oil and preheat on medium or 350°F.
- Add potatoes and onion; stir occasionally until brown; cover and cook until tender, about 30-45 minutes, depending upon what size you cut the potatoes. I usually cut them in about 4 pieces and then cut each of those slices in 4 pieces, each, larger ones in 6 pieces.
- Serve warm.
(1) You may add some spices such as thyme, rosemary, oregano and/or sweet basil, if you desire. (2) If you wish your potatoes to be crispy, reverse the covering process by covering them in the beginning and then browning to the desired crispness at the end.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.