Beets are trending as a vegetable this year. Why not mix things up a bit. Using them as you would a bellpepper, stuff your beets. This recipe for rice and raisin stuffed beets is just one delicious idea. Enjoy!
Beets Stuffed with Rice & Raisins
Shake up your usual vegetable menu and make these stunning beets stuffed with rice and raisins. It is a texture and flavor combo you won't forget.
- 3 beets, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon distilled vinegar
For the stuffing:
- 2 Tablespoons raisins, golden and/or dark
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 Tablespoons butter (or Earth Balance vegan spread)
- 1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- Salt & pepper or sugar, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Do not remove the stem from the beets. Leave about 1 - 2 inches of the stem at the top and roots at the bottom. This prevents bleeding during cooking. Add them to a medium-size saucepan, covered with salted water and 1 teaspoon distilled vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook on medium heat until tender, 30-60 minutes, depending upon size.
- Once cooked, put on a pair of kitchen gloves to prevent your hands from turning red. Run the beets under cold water and using paper towels, push the skin and ends off each beet.
- Scoop out some of the meat from the beets, carve them, if desired, and set on an oiled baking sheet.
- Combine hot/warm cooked rice, butter, nutmeg, and raisins. Season with either white pepper and salt or sugar, if you prefer it sweet. Stuff each beet with the mixture.
- Bake until heated thoroughly and serve topped with grated cheese or your favorite gluten free salad dressing.
To Rehydrate Raisins:
Add raisins to a microwave-safe mug or bowl. Cover with water and microwave until the water is hot, 20 - 30 seconds. All raisins to rest in the water until plump, a minute or so. Rehydrating raisins is suggested for any time raisins are baked as the high temperatures dry them out.
Feel free to chop up the beet meat that you removed from the cooked beet and toss it with the rice.
Add sauteed onion, mushrooms, or mild peppers to the rice mixture. Even chopped nuts is an excellent add-in as it ads an additional texture, as well as flavor.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.