With all of the health benefits of millet, along with its creaminess, it surely makes a wonderful gluten free hot cereal. Cream of millet is surprisingly a favorite in the creamed cereal category, once you try it and flavor it properly. It makes a great cream of wheat substitute. You may prefer it over even over oat meal.
This recipe is a perfect way to use leftover millet flour or grind your own millet grains.
Cream of Millet
Serve this cream of millet made from millet flour or ground millet and serve it plain or with fruit, granola, and/or nuts.
- 1 1/2 cups water (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk (or milk of choice or butter + milk)
- 2/3 cup millet flour (or millet ground in clean coffee grinder)
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered stevia or to taste (or favorite sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a cold saucepan, whisk together the water, coconut milk, millet flour, and any powdered sweetener, if using.
Cook over medium-high heat until thick and creamy. (Add additional liquid if you prefer it thinner. Cook longer if you prefer it thicker.)
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and any liquid sweetener, if using.
You can also cook cream of millet in the microwave, but be sure to stir in between to avoid lumps.
If you have a juicer, boost your breakfast nutrition with freshly squeezed vegetable and fruit juice.