Just like a dress needs accessories, sometimes a dessert needs a little dressing up, as well. Strawberry sauce has so many uses. You can use it to garnish plain ice cream, cream puffs before you add the top, cheesecake, and more. Use this sauce as a filling for layered cakes or even crepes. Use this strawberry sauce for just about any of your gluten free desserts.To make this sugar-free, use xylitol, Pyure blend, or your favorite cup-for-cup sugar replacement.
A bright red and sweet strawberry sauce to top your favorite gluten free desserts and pancakes.
- 14 large strawberries, rinsed and stemmed
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (or less, to taste)
- 3/4 cup water (optional)
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons potato starch or cornstarch
- Drops of gluten free food coloring (optional) (McCormick liquid or AmeriColor)
To Make a Quick Version:
- Add the strawberries to your food processor or blender and pulsate it to puree. If you would like it a little chunky, reserve two strawberries and add it in towards the end of the processing cycle.
- Add the sugar and stir it until the sugar dissolves and it is bright red in color.
- Use to top ice cream, cream puffs, other gluten free desserts, or pancakes.
To Make Thick and Shiny Cake Filling Version:
- Cube strawberries into small pieces, and add to a sauce pan.
- Combine potato or cornstarch with water and add it to the sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and cook until it thickens.
- Refrigerate until cool. Use it to top ice cream or as a cake filling.
When using as a filling for cakes, you may wish to thicken it a bit by adding some unflavored gelatin soaked in hot water and cooled. Then refrigerate until thickened.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.