With all its cheesy and garlicky goodness, this gluten-free low-carb flatbread or breadsticks recipe is perfect if you are on a low-carb diet. Quite tasty with a high rising dough, this delicious treat will surely please everyone at the table. It’s extremely difficult to stop at one piece.
Watch the video to check out the texture.
Gluten-Free Low-Carb Flatbread & So ft Breadsticks (Keto)
This cheesy and garlicky gluten free low carb flatbread or breadsticks recipes is sure to please everyone. It's extremely difficult to stop at one piece.
- 1-3/4 cup (170g) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (17g) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (or Parmesan)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil (or flat leaf parsley)
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic (grated, minced, or crushed)
- 1-1/4 cups (110g) superfine almond flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder (Featherweight for grain and corn-free)
- 1/4 teaspoon psyllium husk powder* (optional-not shown)
- 1/16 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, for basting
- Place a pizza stone or baking sheet/pizza pan on the center shelf of your oven. Preheat it to 500ºF for a stone and 450ºF for a baking sheet/pan.
- Add the Mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano to a saucepan and heat on medium-low stirring occasionally until they melt into a ball; set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, add the egg, basil, and garlic; beat on low just until combined.
- To a separate bowl, add the almond flour, baking powder, psyllium husk powder, and salt; whisk together using a fork; add to the mixing bowl but do not mix.
- Add the melted cheese on top of the almond flour mixture and beat using the paddle attachment until thoroughly combined. (You don't want to place the warm/hot cheese on top of the egg or the egg may scramble.) Mix on medium speed until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the dough to on a non-stick surface. (I used a marble cutting board.) Shape into an about an 8-inch long oval. Slice the dough in the inside into strips of garlic bread sticks. Cut all the way through the dough but do not cut the edges. Sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons additional Mozzarella.
- Toss the dough onto the preheated stone or baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until puffed and nicely golden brown on the edges as well as the top cheese. If you wish the crust dark as in the photo and crunchy, change the oven's temperature to high broil for the last minute.
- Remove from the oven using a pizza peel or a couple of metal spatulas and transfer to wire rack to cool. Baste the top and edges with melted butter. Cool 20 minutes prior to slicing (if you can wait).
*Psyllium husk powder provides a smoother, softer crust similar to pizza dough (not shown). If you prefer a little crunchy edge or don't have any psyllium husk powder on hand, simply omit it. You can butter the crust to soften it as well.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.