Using canned whole black beans, you can make the most delicious refried black beans. Black beans are very nutritious as they are high in protein. You get 8 grams of protein in just 1/2 cup of beans. Add in another protein like beef or chicken, and you’ve created a whole protein (a protein that contains all of the amino acids a body needs.) You’ll also get 9 whole grams of fiber in that 1/2 cup. The following recipe for refried black beans is so delicious, you’ll want to make a large batch and freeze some for future use.
Links That May Interest You:
Best-tasting Mexican food I’ve ever made!. See below for recipes:
Enchilada Sauce Doctored-Up From Canned Enchilada Sauce (Makes 4x the amount)
Refried Black Beans
A recipe for flavorful, refried black beans that take only a few minutes to make, made to your desired consistency and spiciness.
- 2 teaspoons neutral-flavored oil avocado, or as desired
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic large, grated, minced, or crushed
- 2 cans (15-ounce) whole blacked beans (S&W organic black beans from Costco) (or pinto beans), thoroughly rinsed (or 3 cups cooked)
- 1-1/4 cups organic beef reduced-sodium chicken broth (or 1-1/4 cups water + 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon “Organic” Reduced Sodium Beef Base*
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder (or 1/4 tsp ground black pepper + 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and swirl around the skillet.
Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute.
Transfer the rinsed beans to the skillet along with thebroth. Evenly sprinkle with ground cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Addbroth, stir, and taste; add additional seasonings to your liking.
Cook over medium heat, smashing the beans with the back of a spoon until flavorful, Add additional water as needed. If the beans are too thick, increase the heat until the beans thicken to your liking.
*At the time of this writing, Better Than Bouillon Beef Base in the United States does not contain any gluten ingredients. However, they no longer claim that any of their bouillons are gluten free.
Vegan or Vegetarian:
Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken or beef broth.