This gluten free red wine pasta contains some of the ingredients found in basil pesto. You’ll discover one little hack that will add flavor as well as save you preparation and clean up time. This dish is easy to make in less than 30minutes.
Watch the video here.
The best part about this dish is that there are no musts! I used about 1 cup of port wine (very sweet red wine) plus 1/4 cup Chardonnay. Just be certain that you use a wine that you enjoy drinking because the flavor really does come through loud and clear.
Gluten Free Red Wine Pasta with Deconstructed Basil Pesto
An absolutely fast and easy delicious dish served with your favorite protein. This red wine gluten free pasta will knock your guests socks off.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or oil for dairy-free)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated, minced, or crushed
- 8 ounces gluten free fettuccine or spaghetti (Barilla corn & rice pasta)
- 2 cups water, or as needed
- 1-1/4 cups good red wine
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped tender leaves of fresh basil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons superfine almond flour (optional)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup grated Parmesiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving (or 2 tablespoons cashew butter + 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes for dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet, add garlic, and saute over medium-low heat for 1 minute.
- Add the uncooked spaghetti and pour the wine and 1 cup of water over the top. Bring to a boil and cook according to instructions on the package. (13 minutes for Barilla)
- Add additional water as needed when all of the liquid is close to evaporating. (I used a total of 2-1/2 cups of water.) If you end up with tender pasta but you have plenty of water in the skillet, just crank up the heat to medium-high, carefully tossing the pasta until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Add up to 2 tablespoons melted butter and gently toss to coat the pasta. (If dairy-free, also add the cashew butter at this time.)
- Add basil, almond flour, Parmesan, and salt to taste; gently toss adding more of each until you enjoy its flavor. Serve in bowls and add additional cheese and basil to garnish, if desired.
- Serve with your desired protein such as meatballs, stewed beef, etc.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.